Monday, May 17, 2010

Oh My Daniel.

I'm sure most, if not all of you, have heard that Daniel hurt himself the other day. However, you have not all heard the whole story, which I intend to tell you now.

I was slicing potatoes with the mandolin for dinner, when Daniel insisted on helping. He always helps to cook and clean, but this time I felt his hidden motives. I'm a slow slicer when using a mandolin; they are great tools, but I know about 50 million people who have cut themselves on one. Daniel is a fast slicer. He had to work that night and wanted to eat before he left. He saw my slow slicing and I think it made him a bit insecure about the situation. I started working on another food item for the dinner, and after about 5 seconds of slicing I hear a fairly calm "oh crap". I turn to see my beautiful potatoes being contaminated by pinky blood. Daniel had just become the 50,000,001st person I know to cut themselves on one of those things! Contrary to popular belief, I did not freak out. Yelling "COME HERE! COME HERE!" While running to the bathroom and trying to rip open the never used, still in it's plastic first aid. Followed by "PUT PRESSURE ON IT! KEEP PRESSURE ON IT!" is not freaking out, it's simply handling the situation.

We wrapped the pinky up, in some gauze and bandaids, but it quickly bled through. We wrapped it up again and I finished dinner while Daniel sat on the couch. He had one hand in the air (you are supposed to keep bleeding things above your heart if possible), the other hand operating the PS3 controller while he finished the level he was working on before the hidden motives potato slicing had begun. We ate dinner (Yes, we still ate the potatoes, I threw out the bloody ones and cooked up the rest!), wrapped up the pinky one more time, really well this time, kept Daniel prepared with extra bandaids, and sent him to work.

I hadn't heard anything from Daniel in 5 hours. No news is good news right? I figured the bandaids worked out and everything was fine. I had asked Daniel for the parental permission code for our Wii, so I could try and connect to someone's internet so that my brother could send me my Mii, so when I got a text from "My Love" I figured he was just getting the code to me. Instead I read "I am in the ER". Um what!? Now, let's get a few things straight. It had been about 6 hours since the potato incident, that's a long time, I figured if he was going to go to the hospital for that, it would have been a few hours ago. Also, Daniel works in the Infectious Disease department and his lead is currently in quarantine for malaria. He could have easily (well, not easily, but much more easily than most people) gotten a disease on him. Lastly, This is Daniel we are talking about, he does weird, crazy stuff on a regular basis. I come to find out, he just hadn't stopped bleeding. Not as bad as something else happening, but I was still worried, for Daniel, and the emergency room bill we would soon be getting.

After Daniel went into see the Doctor, they tried to put pressure on it and hold it above his heart to see if it would stop bleeding on it's own(Really dude, it had been 7 hours by then! I don't think it's just going to stop). They finally gave in and decided to cauterize (there was a chunk missing, so there was no way they could stitch it). When they took a closer look, it was cut through a vein, so it wouldn't have stopped bleeding on it's own. He asked for the cauterized tool (pen, stick, pole?), but they wouldn't let him take it with him, so after a 3 hour ER excursion, he returned to work. On his return home in the morning, I found out that he had told me, and his two best friends he was in the ER, but not his mother. After convincing him that he should probably tell his mom, he sent her a text that read:  "So, I was in the ER last night." Ah, that's my man.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh the adventures we have. That one is pretty good.

Nicholle said...

Quite the adventure, and a reason I should never get a mandolin. PS you should send us your Mii

Savanna Landrum said...

Keep an eye on that Daniel of yours or next time he might chop something more important off! Love ya.

Kiki said...

If you don't have insurance you can go into the ER with your bill and negotiate a payment based off of your income level. My mom told me that and I thought I'd pass it on to you.