Saturday, June 12, 2010

Happy Birthday(s)

Daniel and I both recently celebrated our birthdays. Though my birthday was spent with massive amounts of relatives then a well-behaved toddler, and Daniel's was spent with stool (and other) samples, we still managed to sneak in a little birthday fun for one another.

The day before my birthday, I came home from work to find this:
Massive amounts of balloons, all blown up by the man in the picture. It was super cute, I love balloons!!!(too bad they aren't biodegradable).

Then, the Monday after my birthday (stupid places closing on weekends), I woke up to see these on the table:
Very pretty. I got flowers or my birthday last year too, I'm starting to see a trend.

However, the best part of my birthday came a few days before my birthday even came. As a combined Christmas/Birthday present (for me, from Daniel) we stocked up on a ton of food and hygiene supplies from Costco and donated it all to St. Anne's homeless shelter. Best present ever.

Since it was Daniel's work week when his birthday came, I was determined to have something special waiting for him when he arrived home, at 7 am, on his birthday.  My decision was a penguin cake. It's his favorite animal, and I thought it would be awesome. I was on a quest to find a penguin cake pan (or at least some penguin figurines). After many stores and absolutely no luck (besides Shawn telling me he saw a penguin cake out of a 3D bear cake pan), I figured I failed my quest and retired to my sister Nicholle's house to play games. Nicholle said she had a dinosaur cake pan that might work. We scoffed at her, but it ended up being the perfect thing! Over 4 hours, 3 board games, 2 driving trips and one frosting covered Becky later, I ended up with this:
I was going to make it cooler, and add a wing, and well, feet, but Daniel was going to be home soon so I called it good. It did have a whole face before...we just didn't get a picture before it was eaten.

For Daniel's birthday we also managed to go out to eat before he had to head to work again. His choice: Golden Coral. He had been looking forward to going to a buffet for awhile now.

In case you were wondering:
The balloon aftermath.

Thanks everyone for the other birthday presents and wishes. It was a good year for us both.

5 comments:

Savanna Landrum said...

Im determind to celebrate your birthday one of these years. I always miss the actual party. Oh well, Im sure you and Daniel will both love the presents even if they are a little late. Love you.

Nicholle said...

I'm glad I could help bring a penguin into Daniel's birthday. And to think you scoffed, you guys should know better after the "robin" incident. I'm glad you guys had fun birthdays. Love you.

Kiki said...

That's so sweet. You two are great to each other.

Melinda said...

Looks like you both had lots of fun. Good job on the cake (even though the face is missing)

Unknown said...

Bec did not say that she was making the cake at my house at 3 in the morning, I woke to dirty measuring cups, and bowls. Glad the pan worked. It takes a lot of time to put all of the frosting on, doesn't it. Now think of me and all of those neat cakes I made